Joel and I are back from our honeymoon/road trip to Maine. It was awesome, despite some areas being literally clogged with tourists (what is it about beaches that makes people lose their minds?)
Joel and I are not beach bums, the only reason we’d sit on a beach is to draw all the motionless people! But we didn’t really even get a chance to do that, instead we were on a Wyeth pilgrimage. We also didn’t do a single nautical thing while in Maine! Is that weird? And no, we didn’t eat a whole lobster. Too expensive. But we did have a few lobster rolls.
+ Olson House in Cushing. So awesome and moving. Highlight of the trip
+ The Captain Lord Mansion in Kennebunkport. Stupidly expensive but worth every damn penny.
+ The East Wind Inn in Tenant’s Harbour. So cozy with excellent, cheap (by Canadian standards) food and right across from Jamie Wyeth’s island!
+galleries and cute shops doting every regional road along the coast. You CAN work out of your garage in Maine!
+great food pretty much everywhere.
+affordable Wyeth prints
+N.C Wyeth paintings in person. HOLY. Talk about blowing you away!
– being the youngest people by like 30 years at most inns and b&bs.
– Bed and breakfasts. I decided I’m not a fan of feeling like I’m paying to stay in someone’s house and 8am communal breakfasts are just painful. Not my best conversational time.
– The Downeast region. Dubbed the “real Maine” by our guidebook, this region reminded us too much of Canada. Depressing.
– Sanford, Maine. What a s***hole.
– The growling “coydog” roaming around our tent at 2am!
Onto the sketches!
Being married is pretty fun too!